28 April 2015

Children and festival

During the weekend, I visited my friend in London and helped out the Barnes Children's Literature Festival and joined a kid's birthday party!



The literature festival was very lively!  I watched a play adaptation of Satoshi Kitamura's picture book, "Me and My Cat?" and listened to a funny talk by a poet, Roger McGough. 



At the festival, I met a very special book binder, Mark Cockram, who invited me to his amazing studio the following day. He showed me his current work, how he presses the title type on a box of a book with a sheet of gold paper, his unique project to bury books in the soil for several weeks to create art objects. It was an experience to peek the world of bookbinding.



Joining five-year-old's birthday party was a new thing for me, too. There were lots of cakes, marshmallows, biscuits, pizza and fruits on the table with beautiful flower decoration.







For the first time in many many months, I sketched children a lot. I need to keep doing this more often.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous30/4/15 05:45

    Thank you for coming, Ting! You were a great volunteer, and your sketches captured the atmosphere of the festival and the party! Good luck with the rest of your stay in Europe, and I look forward to seeing a lot more of your sketches! Aoixx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for having me there and many wonderful opportunities, Aoi-san!
      I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in London.

      Delete