26 February 2010

銚子のカモメ



セグロカモメ(Herring Gull)
Choshi, the easternmost city in Chiba prefecture, is the best place to see gulls. However the day I visited Choshi was unusually warm and calm for February. I don't know if it was because of that, or this year is just happened to be an unlucky year, the number of gulls was not as large as we had expected; still so many.
Most of them are Black-tailed Gulls, Herring Gulls and Black-headed Gulls but if you look carefully, you will find some other species, such as Common Gull, Black-legged Kittiwake, Glaucous Gull...and if you watch really carefully, you will notice the existence of Thayer's Gull.


One of the biggest points to distinguish gulls is the color of the under side of primary feather, I learned. At first, I couldn't even understand why people can see the color of such a difficult place. Distinguishing gulls is a crazy hobby indeed!

2 comments:

  1. sanderling27/2/10 01:44

    Yes, it's crazy!
    I can not distinguish Thayer's Gull too.
    When I visited Choshi last week
    I also thought Gulls were not so many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sanderling,
    I was told to look for "pretty Herring Gull" to find Thayer's Gull...
    >I also thought Gulls were not so many.
    Oh, really. So it wasn't just because of the warm day.

    ReplyDelete