7 August 2011

Hever Castle

I stayed a night in Hever Castle in Kent! My friend kindly took me to the trip as a baby-sitter during the dinner party.



Having drinks at the Music Room.



I couldn't help getting up early in the morning. I went out of my room opening heavy wooden door, which made a creaking noise in the very quiet corridor. The light coming in from the side through the windows was beautiful.

I wish I knew a lot more of British history. I learned a little in high school but I forgot most of them. And also the input of historical knowledge was in Japanese so that it was difficult for me to associate my knowledge and the explanation in English. I won't say that we should have learned history in English like Indian schools but we should have remembered proper pronunciation of names of people and facts! Anne Boleyn, for example, sounded very different from how we pronounce in Japanese and I didn't get it in the beginning.

4 comments:

  1. ヤマセミ8/8/11 17:43

    最終パラグラフは非常に興味深いですね
    私がロンドンで仕事をしていた頃はイギリス人が日本語の発音で発言してくれていた事もあります。まぁ、これは例外として、一般的にはTingさんお悩みは、日本人誰もが共感するのではないでしょうか

    ReplyDelete
  2. ヤマセミさん、
    発音を少し工夫するだけで、コミュニケーションの出来がずいぶん変わりますよね。わたしもタイ人と話すときは、いつも英語をタイ語風に発音しています。関西風に少し語尾を上げて、最後の子音を強く発音しない、それがタイ風です(笑)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Graham Holman10/8/11 19:44

    Hi Ting, We met at the party and I was hoping you would post your drawings!
    I hope you enjoy finding out more about English history.
    Kind regards,
    Graham

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Graham Holman,
    I was so happy to find your comment! Thank you for checking my blog.
    Unlike in japan, many buildings and things have remained the same as it was in the past here in Britain, I found it more fun to learn history.

    ReplyDelete